Friday, July 23, 2010

Breakfast of Champians


I LOVE cereal. All cereal. I grew up eating it every morning before school. I have fond memories of soggy marshmallows peacefully swimming in their pool of synthetic rainbow colors while plopped down in front of my Saturday morning cartoon favorites. I can lovingly recall the taste of Count Chocula every time I think of the Care Bears.

Like most people, it was the staple of my diet in college and was always readily available in those fun plastic lever bins at the dining hall. It never let me down when they were serving an unidentifiable meat. Oh the magical sound of if singing as it dropped into the plastic bowl.

You can say, I've had a bit of an obsessive love affair with cereal. I can benchmark meaningful events in my life with just about every brand on the market. Fruit Loops-my first day of Preschool, Lucky Charms-my first dance recital, Captn'Crunch-my first kiss, Frosted Corn Flakes-my college graduation, Cheerios-my first day in NYC, Kashi-my first paid dance gig...in my defense, they did get healthier over time.

I realized that these comfort foods were something that I had to let go of once I fell into the health field. There are some horrific hidden studies of protein mutation when grains go through processing. The more wholesome the grain, the more toxic the protein. The more toxic the protein, the more damage to our brains. According to some experts, you are better off eating the nutrient stripped sugar loaded brands over anything with a "whole grain" health claim.

Then there is the controversy around the health claims that end up on sugar loaded kids cereals. The Kellogg Co. recently got reprimanded for their claims that Rice Krispies will improve childrens health and Frosted Mini-Wheats will improve alertness. http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010/06/04/Report-Kellogg-exaggerated-health-claims/UPI-51321275662223/

The point of this trip down memory lane isn't to scare you out of your own cereal comforts. Although if that happens in the process, it's not a bad thing. For the last 2 years, I've made the switch to steal oats, eggs, spinach, AM smoothies but nothing has been able to compare to the comfort of cereal...until now. I should have known that turning to my favorite super grain would be the answer to my demise.

QUINOA- cold, leftover from dinner, swimming in milk (rice, almond, coconut, soy whatever you desire), topped with fruit, sliced almonds and a tiny splash of maple syrup.

A recipe for success. My heart and taste-buds could not be happier. :) Don't knock it til you've tried it. If this sugary cereal addict can find peace with it, I'm sure you can as well.

Cheers to a happier, healthier start to your day,


Joanie


Joanie Johnson, HC
joanie@motivatednutrition.net
www.motivatednutrition.net

No comments:

Post a Comment