It's cold season and a time when we should be protecting our bodies as much as possible in order to stay healthy. While the cold weather itself doesn't cause us to get sick, there are many things about the season that do.
- We're spending more time indoors within close proximity to other people who may be infected.
- There is a lack of humidity in the air which allows germs to stick around longer.
- Vitamin D is an immune system regulator and many of us are getting much less sun exposure this time of year.
Creamy Broccoli Garlic Soup
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1/8 Tsp of crushed red pepper
- 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 cups of veggie broth
- 1 1/2 bunches of broccoli chopped (florets and stems)
- 1 large russet potato (peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces of cheese of your choice
- Heat oil in large saucepan over med heat. Add onion, red pepper, and garlic and cook until onion is soft. (about 4 min)
- Add veggie broth, broccoli, potato, 2 cups of water, salt and pepper into saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until veggies are tender (about 20 min)
- In a blender or food processor, puree soup until smooth. Add in water if necessary.
- Top with cheese and serve
What are your go to healing foods during the winter months?