Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!


Today is the 40th celebration of Earth Day and there are events going on all over NYC, not to mention the rest of the country. New York has started an entire marketing campaign to support the event. www.earthdayny.org/ime. Posters and bulletins have been everywhere lately. The marketing is nice but I wonder how many people are actually going to take an action to make some changes? I recently read a book by Colin Beavan called No Impact Man (Check out his blog at http://noimpactman.typepad.com/) It inspired me to make some changes in my everyday life, more than just switching light bulbs. You're going to have to do more than that, I'm sorry.

Here are a few of the changes I've made. Maybe they will inspire you to make your own impact.

*Stop buying bottled water. Start carrying a stainless steel/ BPA Free bottle instead
(http://www.kleankanteen.com/)
*Ride a Bike
*Eat more veggies and less meat or ALL VEGGIES and no meat!
*Take the stairs instead of the elevator
*Cut out the plastic and carry your own shopping bags- not just for groceries, for EVERYTHING you purchase.
*Make less new purchases. Shop your local thrift store.
*Switch to hankies instead of tissues! (I get a lot of stares for this one and proudly feel like a little old man. I'm starting a statement here...just wait!)
*Use public transportation, it's so much cooler.
*Be inspired by No Impact Man, Eating Animals, Tapped, Food Inc.
*Shop your local farmers market and eat locally. It's fun to get to know where your food is coming from!
*Join a Food Share. I'm now a proud supporter of Free Bird Farm
*Take shorter showers (I happen to hate water so this is easy for me)
*Tell people they have dropped something when you see them litter! They will either be embarrassed, pick it up and say thank you or mutter a disgruntle comment. When this happens, pick it up for them and happily say "That's ok, I got that for you". Kill em with kindness.

Share with us a few of the Earth Saving things you have been doing! Happy Earth Day!

In health,

Joanie


Joanie Johnson, HC
joanie@motivatednutrition.net
www.motivatednutrition.net

No comments:

Post a Comment