Thursday, April 8, 2010

Too tired to cook


I don't finish up my Thursday nights until 9pm and after a long day of back to back rehearsals and teaching a boot camp class, I'm starving and exhausted. The last thing I want to do is stress over what to eat and then actually take the time to prepare it. I usually spend Thursday evenings catching a sun burn from the light in the fridge with a growling stomach and no brain power to play creative chef. I googled a recipe on my way home tonight and then swung by the market to pick up what I needed. Here's what I came up with. It was fast, easy, healthy, delicious AND I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. You can't beat that. The sauce was really good. My advice is to make more than recommended. Otherwise it's a little bland. It took me about 30 min from start to finish.

Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 onion, sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
* 8 ounces firm or extra firm tofu, sliced into bite size pieces
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
* 1 red, yellow or green bell pepper, seeded and cut into slices
* 2 Heads of Broccoli, chopped
* 4 Crimini mushrooms, chopped

Directions

Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or wok. Stir in onions and cook for 1 minute. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. In a small sauce pan combine water, honey and soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes and stir in cornstarch mixture. Simmer until sauce thickens. Add bell pepper, broccoli, and mushrooms to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour thickened sauce over vegetables and tofu. Serve immediately with brown rice.


Do you have a go-to recipe that you fall back on when you are hungry and tired? If so, please share. I'm going to need another meal next Thursday night!


Be well,


Joanie



Joanie Johnson, HC
joanie@motivatednutrition.net
www.motivatednutrition.net

No comments:

Post a Comment