Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ring me Up...but wait until after I've had my coffe

#StyleMeJuly challenge Day 24

Ring Me Up...but wait until after I've had my coffee


Healthy Tip: A soothing cup of coffee is the first thing I think about when my feet hit the floor in the morning.  While shopping for my latest batch of beans I began to wonder what all the confusing claims on the packages meant.  Like all of the food I purchase, I like to be an educated consumer.  I got to the bottom of it and here's what I found.

100% Arabica vs Robusta:  Arabica- more robust flavors, harder to grow and more expensive, used by small roasters.  Robusta- used by most commercial roasters, big body, not much flavor, inexpensive. 

Fair Trade Certified: The company pays their workers honest living wages.  However, "honest living wages" are still open to interpretation.  

Organic: The coffee has been grown and roasted without the use of herbicides or pesticides. This makes it better for the environment and some will argue this but I say better for YOU.

"Shade grown", “Bird Friendly”, “Rainforest Alliance Certified” :  This means the farmer hasn't wiped out the entire rainforest in order to give you a cup-o-joe in the morning. "Shade grown" isn't strictly regulated so look for "Rainforest Alliance Certified" to insure regulation or best yet "Bird Friendly" because they are also organic

Blends: This means your beans have come from 2 different regions.  Sometimes rosters use a blend to cover up the taste of flawed beans.  A real coffee connoisseur won't tolerate it and prefers single origin beans. 


Fashionista Wannabe: My younger sister made this ring out of bendable wire and it's one of my favorites.  I "borrowed" it from her dresser last time I visited.  (Jen, can I keep this please?  And maybe have 3 more while you're at it?)  


In caffeinated health,


Joanie



Joanie Johnson, CHC
Motivated Nutrition
814-442-5311

Pin It!

DeanStreetSociety

No comments:

Post a Comment